Recommended reading for new entrants to the Antiquarian Book Trade
Please note that there is nothing that can be regarded as a straight 'textbook' for antiquarian bookselling. These rather provide basic background reading about the trade, bibliography and book collecting which will be very valuable reading to anyone seriously interested in the trade.
- Terms of the Trade by Roger Gaskell and Coming to Terms with Manuscripts by Roy Davids, both available on the website.
- Mandelbrote (Giles) - editor: Out of Print and Into Profit. 2006
- Rota (Anthony): Books in the Blood. 2002.
- Rota (Anthony): Apart from the Text. 1998.
- Minet (Paul): Bookdealing for Profit. 2000
- Carter (John): ABC for Book Collectors. 1952 (last revised edition, 2006).
- Bernard (Phillipa & Leo, with Angus O'Neill): Antiquarian Books: a Companion. 1994
- Muir (P.H.): Minding My Own Business. 1981.
- Gaskell (Philip): New Introduction to Bibliography. 1972 (and later).
- Muir (P.H.): Book Collecting as a Hobby, Letters to Everyman and Book Collecting, More Letters. 1944-1949 (later reprinted in one volume).
- Carter (John): Taste and Technique in Book Collecting. 1949 (and later).
- Brook (G.L.): Books and Book-Collecting. 1980.
- Uden (Grant): Understanding Book-Collecting. 1982.
We hope you have found this information useful. Please do not hesitate to contact the ABA Office if we can help further –